DPP stands for deputy public prosecutor.
SAR stands for senior assistant registrar.
Both are govt's legal officers but work at 2 different divisions. While DPP's task are among others represent the state to prosecute criminals, SAR's duty is mainly to assist the Court (Judges) in their High Court omatters especially civil cases. They can be in the High Court on criminal matters too.That's why it sounds as 'an assistant'. The DPP's power is derived from Article 145 of the Federal Constitution, while the SAR's duty is available in the Rules of High Court 1980.
To 'prosecute' sounds awesome than to 'assist', isn't it...? But I'd like to think that the work field doesn't show intellectual disparity. The officers in the prosecution dept are not necessarily better than the officers in the judiciary. Both are at the same level of legal knowledge and intelligence, except the task that requires their skills to manipulate the knowledge.
I was a SAR when I first appointed to the Judiciary :-D.We're posted to our place based on our personality traits that was dominant at the time when they do the posting interview. Their evaluation might not be 100% correct, but that helps the officers to adapt the working environment. I was seen as a soft person, hence the AG might think that I suit to assist rather than to lead, which I think I agreed with him.
DPP's role is more on leading style. They have to lead or supervise/advice the police/investigating officers in their investigation and then to 'lead' the court to the evidence of criminal case. I also think that the role as an assistant is laid back. The main responsibility is not 100% imposed on us, the same with the blame. Lighter liability is always better. On top of that, the working nature is 'in-house'. SAR is not required to travel a lot. Hence low claim for mileage :-D
After few year being laid back, some of the judicial officers would be worry if they were to be transferred to the prosecution because of the comfort zone view. For the prosecution, they'll either look at the transfer as a killing time to rest a bit or learn something new in a slow phase. But some would think that they'll go back to stupidity, because they will definitely lose the 'power' and the flexibility. From a 'hero' to a 'sidekick'. How does it feel?
I would see both sides as a challenge that must be accepted with full heart. We'll be miserable for the first month, or too. But soon when we catch up with the flow, I think we will be fine. Insyaallah.
I would see both sides as a challenge that must be accepted with full heart. We'll be miserable for the first month, or too. But soon when we catch up with the flow, I think we will be fine. Insyaallah.
I've got friends from judiciary who are transferred to the prosecution and they look anxious to leave. While those from prosecution sounds a bit relaxed. Actually it depends on perceptions. Wherever we go, there's always new things to learn.
The transfer order has finally brought my ex-classmate to our division. She was in DPP for more than 4 years and she is clueless as to why is she transferred to the judiciary, particularly doing civil, something that she had left for years. She is well known as a rough person. When she was a prosecutor and I was on the bench, we met occasionally and I always saw her wearing tight blouse and pants, tight shirt and short skirt or anything that equals to those fashion. I never seen her wearing baju kurung until when she reported duty at our division last 2-3 weeks. She looked awkward to wear baju kurung complete with a tudung-ala-mak-datin. Boy I was laughing like crazy...
First the fashion. Then the works. She is adapting to the new civil court's system as well as her new boss who is known for being a demanding boss. So there goes the DPP that turns a SAR. She was a leader once and now an assistant. It's not easy I know.
This morning when the boss required her to fetch some law books from the library and she was about to call her cases on queue, she said innocently "Ala, bos aku ni, nak akta pun suruh DPP!" then I shouted back, "Oit! DPP lagi ke? SAR maaa..."
"Alamak! Aku lupa, teringat2 pulak, hahaha!"
No comments:
Post a Comment